If you’ve arrived here after searching online for “how to get a better jawline,” you’re not alone. A well-defined jawline and strong chin are physical features that both men and women find desirable. The good news is that we offer a number of jawline contouring procedures—both nonsurgical and surgical, such as a facelift—at our Boston-area practice.
Can Facial Exercises Help?
There is no shortage of online articles or YouTube videos promising great results for your jawline. Usually, these “solutions” involve clenching, stretching, and otherwise contorting facial muscles. Facial exercises, unfortunately, provide little to no benefit for people who want a more angular jaw. That’s because age-related issues (not a lack of muscle movement) often cause the jaw to become less defined. From lax skin to accumulated fat to the loss of volume, none of these age-related conditions can be improved by exercising facial muscles.
Instead, you can choose nonsurgical or surgical procedures that address these specific issues.
- Fillers—Strategically injecting a filler such as JUVÉDERM® is an excellent way to create volume, and I often use it to add definition to the jawline.
- CoolMini™—This CoolSculpting® applicator is designed specifically to fit snugly under the chin. In the same way that CoolSculpting destroys fat cells in other areas of the body, the CoolMini reduces the fat that causes the appearance of a double chin.
- Skin tightening treatments—Laser skin tightening procedures can help if a patient has early signs of jowling.
- Neck liposuction—The advantages of choosing liposuction to reduce neck fat instead of a nonsurgical procedure are that you only need to schedule one operation, and the results are immediate.
- Neck lift—Various neck lift techniques can remove excess skin and minimizing vertical bands, creating a jawline that is much more defined and attractive. You can see the changes produced by neck lift surgery in our gallery of before-and-after photos featuring actual patients.
- Facelift—If you want to address multiple signs of aging, such as wrinkles, sagging skin, and jowls in a single operation, a facelift may be the best approach.
In many cases, I recommend combining 2 or more of these procedures to get the best possible results. For example, combining liposuction with fillers helps improve the jawline’s appearance and reduces neck fat.
What’s the best procedure for you? Even though nonsurgical procedures may be the right choice for some patients, cosmetic surgery can produce more dramatic and long-lasting results. The only way to make an informed decision is by consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in both surgical and nonsurgical contouring procedures. You can request a consultation with me by submitting our online contact form or by calling my office at (781) 237-7700 to schedule an appointment.