Fall is often thought of as a season of changes. Leaves change colors, the weather turns chilly, and, with the beginning of a new school year, children change grades. At my Boston plastic surgery practice, it’s also a popular time for patients to pursue personal transformations that they may have been thinking about for months or longer.
One of the most popular procedures I perform throughout the year is breast augmentation. In Boston, though, fall can be an ideal time to get breast implants. You may have heard or read about fall and winter being “plastic surgery season” and there are some specific reasons it makes sense to schedule your breast enhancement procedure at this time of year.
Here are 5 of the most common reasons:
- The season’s cooler weather provides the perfect excuse for spending some time indoors. Few patients want to stay inside during warm summer days. In the fall, though, you can plan on binge-watching your favorite shows and not feel the least bit guilty. With the shorter days, there is also less risk of having the sun’s UV rays damage scar tissue — which can happen even if incisions are covered by a bathing suit or tank top.
- You can schedule surgery to coincide with holiday breaks. Most patients need to take about 5 to 7 days off from work after getting breast implants. For women who want to save their vacation days for something other than recovering from breast augmentation, scheduling surgery around the fall or winter holidays can allow you to save those days for a beach vacation next summer. I perform surgery on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so most breast augmentation patients are able to return to work on Monday following their surgery.
- You won’t be missing out on outdoor fun. The longer days of spring and summer offer plenty of opportunities to be active — and that’s not an option when you’re recovering after breast augmentation. Rest and relaxation indoors are what the doctor orders, and it’s less tempting to disobey those orders during the fall.
- Breasts take a few months to settle down. Even though the recovery following breast augmentation takes only a few days to a week, the final results of your procedure take longer to appear. It can be several weeks before swelling subsides, and then more time is needed for the implants to settle into their final location. By getting breast implants in the fall, you’ll be ready to show off your results in the spring.
- When the time is right, you’ll feel like spending more time at the gym. Yes, it’s important to take some time off from your exercise routine so you can completely heal. But once you have the okay from your surgeon, spending some extra time in the gym during the winter months will help you tone and contour your body to complement your new breasts.
Women often think about getting breast implants for months, even years, before making a decision. If you’ve been wondering when the time is right to follow through and schedule breast augmentation surgery, fall is ideal.